5 perhaps unanticipated effects of declaring fetuses to be “persons” under Virginia law.
- Fetuses must be strapped into child safety seats. (§ 46.2-1095)
- A pregnant woman can put her fetus in foster care. (§ 63.2-900)
- A judge can order that the state take legal custody of a woman’s fetus if she intends to have an abortion. (§ 16.1-246)
- A court is to provide a father visitation rights with a fetus that he has fathered. (§ 20-124.2)
- Fetuses may be put to work on the family farm, perform domestic work, or volunteer for the rescue squad. (§ 40.1-79.01)